Shot my short stop motion film yesterday with these characters! How funny that they also involve a magician and assistant! I've had this magician character for over a year now, it's exciting to bring him to life! Images/preview coming soon!!!
It is a beautiful one-woman show about a magician's assistant named Hettie, who is coping with the death of her beloved magician, Thaddeus. She has created this world for herself filled with hand-made objects and remnants of their life together. With these objects, she shares the rituals she has created with them. These objects help her to catalog the details of their love, thus preserving Thaddeus' memory as she copes with his death.
The drawings seen in the show are based on the drawings of Henry Darger (Henry Darger), created as tracings of pre-existing images interpreted in a new way. It is the hand-made aesthetic that is important since Hettie, who is not necessarily a visual artist, has created all of the seen images herself, in haste or with care, in fits of emotion, whether it be love, rage, or simply a need to remember.
I don't have scans of the finalized cards, but here are some of the tracings from earlier on in production for a lovely card sequence.
Right now, I'm on the neoprene stage, which is a bit further along than these show. Photos coming soon. However, here is some of the mold-making process in readying the clay sculptures for the neoprene casting. Characters: Faerie and Pirate; relative characterizations...they may change. It depends on how the castings come out.
Built up clay walls and foam core walls to prepare for a plaster pour for the first part of a 2- or 3- part mold. Both heads are 3-part molds, the hands and ears are all 2-part molds.
Once the plaster was dry, I tore off the foam core and flipped the molds. Then, I removed the clay wall and replaced the foam core walls in preparation for pouring the plaster on the other side.
Second part poured.
The babiest hand!
Preparing to pour the third plaster part of one of the heads.
Time to separate the molds!
Struggled with the pirate's hands. When I pried into the side of the mold, out popped the hand attached to the flathead of the screwdriver!
Had to do a partial re-sculpt of the hands and recast the second side.
Not all of the molds worked the first time around so I had to recast several sides. For example, the pirate head went from a 3-part to a 4-part mold when I opened it, i.e. the third side cracked in two. Repaired it today.
My "army of molds," as my friend Chase calls it!
The neoprene is poured and setting in all but one of the six molds, to be removed tomorrow! If the repaired pirate head plaster mold is dry enough tomorrow, I'll do the neoprene pour. It's exciting learning new things! Though, I recommend doing one mold at a time as opposed to six. It's a little bit crazy.
New pose -- a dancer on the ground with back leg in "attitude". Baked it, thus far, so I can build it up and sculpt in the finalized anatomy/characterization. So, for now, it's in rough sculpt phase. Probable next step: plumber's steel epoxy putty to add strength to weak points, then more sculpy, then magic sculpt.
Beginning stages of the Pirate head. Constructed in the same way as the Faerie. Separate ears and hands also. Right now it is covered in water clay as well, waiting for plaster to make the 2-part mold.
In front of me is illustration. Through the looking glass is puppetry. My goal is to merge the two. I enjoy creating and becoming part of fictitious worlds. The universe must know this, since these worlds keep finding me when I least expect them to. Onward ho. So it goes.
To view my artwork on additional sites please visit the links below:
www.LeahNO.com and leahnoartsourced.blogspot.com